29 March 2012

Rough, rough, very rough draft

I'm being interviewed for the next edition of Seasons. Here are my answers. Please feel free to help me with my grammar, structure of sentences, etc.

1. How long have you been shooting pictures? I suppose I really got into shooting photos about five years ago when I left Atlanta, Georgia to make a new home for myself here in Portland, Oregon. I started this blog shortly after settling in so my Mom could see what I was up too. The blog started out quite rudimentary with photos that were taken using my cell phone up until a year into it when I was able to afford a snap & shoot Canon camera. When I was single I would just go out into the city with my camera. There was no stopping my photo taking frenzy.

2. Why pictures and not painting or sculpture, for instance? My boyfriend, Steven, does that. He paints mostly with water colors, gouache and works with charcoal a lot. For me picking up a camera and taking photos is my way of shutting off the everyday stresses of life and absorbing myself into a world that I’m able to create.

3. Do you remember your first camera? (what it was, how old you were, what you liked to photograph then?) I think it was one of the cheap models that used filmed. I didn’t own a digital camera until four years ago. I like my latest addition, my Canon EOS (about a year new).

In other words, what about photography calls to you? I’d like to answer that using this quote "a camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera." -Dorothea Lange. I am always thinking I’ve just captured an amazing shot and how much I want to simply just share it with everyone.

4. Do you have a favorite photographer or someone else who inspires your art? That’s interesting because off the top of my head I can't think of one.

5. Tell us about where/when/how/what you photograph these days? I mostly am more of ‘in the moment’ kind of person. I don’t have per say a set style. I just like to snap and then post them on my blog with my description of what the photo means to me.

6. Do you have a favorite story about a photograph you were taking? Blogging allows for creativity to happen all the time. My blog was named after I was taking photos of the Portlandia statue with my cell phone and I couldn’t resist naming my blog Portnatalia. This connect was made only by my love of taking photos.

7. What else do you enjoy doing, especially in spring? It’s hiking weather so I go out and hike about.

8. Where were you born? Where have you lived? I was born in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. I am still a Canadian citizen. My father moved my family to Monticello, Georgia when I was 8 years old. Once I graduated from high school I went to college in Decatur, Georgia and worked in Atlanta, Georgia. It wasn’t until five years ago when I made the big move to Portland, Oregon.

9. Are you currently working on any projects? or have recent accomplishments you can tell us about? I was featured not too long ago in Our Portland Story. Please click here for my friend's take on it. My photos were on display at Tribute Gallery a few years back. I keep my blog going and when I post is completely arbitrary. My blog is more like a living document/diary to me. I just think it and tada we have another post written by Freckled.Girl.Talk.

10. Describe what ‘unfurling’ means to you, or how it relates to your art, or process, or anything else at all you would like to tell us about yourself in closing? I would have to say that my life unfurls as everything else does. My photography is an expression of who I am and I take pure joy in sharing my photos with everyone. God would be pleased.

No comments: